Saturday, November 10, 2012

Stocking Stuffers and Fun Holiday Gifts!

"I will honor Christmas in my heart,
and try to keep it all the year." 
~Charles Dickens

If you know me even a little, you know my favorite time of the year is upon us.  I'm already gearing up for my annual Black Friday fun, planning Thanksgiving with my two sister-in-laws and of course am already getting my gifts ready for my staff at work, friends and those select few who I just want to surprise.  This little project is one of those things that is so easy, simple and cute that you could use almost ANYTHING to do this with.  I have chosen some anti-bacterial foam bottles and thought it would be great to buy and then give out as gifts in my holiday gift giving. 

I love to give something a home made touch in my holiday gift giving because to me that adds just a little more meaning to the gift.  After all, it's the spirit of the giving that really matters anyway.  Let's jump right in here ...

This supply list is super simple and you probably already have it all. 
  • Your gift - pick any little gift you'd like, such as sanitizer foams like I did, hand soap, lotion, chap stick, etc. 
  • Ribbon - pick your color according to your gift.  If doing the Santa belts you can also use black electrical tape
  • Metallic Sharpie - pick your color
  • Scissors - Just for some quick snips
  • Tape Runner/Double Sided Tape - your choice
And that's it.  Now ... let's get creative here!!  We'll start with Santa - where else do start when you think of holiday gifts?!


 Measure out your ribbon to fit the gift.  I overlapped mine a little.  Then cut to size.

I then took my tape runner and did little small 1/2" tape along the ribbon paying special attention to the ends.  This just helps it stay in place on your gift.

Line it up where you want it and then stick down.  Make sure your ribbon lines up so you have one nice black ribbon all the way around.

Now, take your metallic Sharpie and draw a buckle for Santa's belt.  I used silver as my preference color.

And there you have it!  A cute way to give your gift a fun holiday twist!  Simple, easy and so cute!!

Now ... we are going to try this same concept in some different ways ...

I do have some men in my life who need gifts and of course when giving to a man, you can make it 'cute' - it has to have some masculine traits to it.  So I thought I'd do a fun, different take on the ribbon concept.  Borrowing from a fictional character ... I call this my Grey Gift. 

Take your ribbon and measure out and use the tape runner just as you did above.  Only this time I'm not doing a belt - I'm doing a black tie.

Take a shorter piece of ribbon and then cut a v-shape at the end to simulate the tie look. Then just tape on to the top ribbon so that it hangs down.

See how quick this was?  Simple and yet totally gave this one a different look altogether than the Santa belt.  Perfect for any man on your holiday gift list.

Let's go for another try to mix it up a little more ...

Using silver ribbon this time I wanted to give this one more of a 'gift' look so it was more present-looking.  I took the ribbon and pulled out a nice stretch of it and then just cut a v-shape just like in the above example to just make our ribbon look a little dressed up. 

Adhere along the top of your gift and again, use the tape runner to help adhere it to the package.  Then, you are just going to tie a simple bow on the front. 

You could trim up the ends and be done here.  However since I'm using curling ribbon I wanted to take it up one more notch and I took the back end of my scissors and ran down the ends of the ribbon to make it curl up.

Here you see the ribbon is curled just like a present.  Another look to make it just a little different than the others.

And we are gonna go for one last look.  This one is clean, simple and perfect all year round.  Since my gift of choice this time is an antibacterial foam, I thought I'd do a play on words.  Everyone has heard of the catch phrase, "get milk" ... and so ...

Since this gift has more of a gold color I used my gold metallic Sharpie.  Then, I just wrote on the lid.

"get clean"  I know .. pretty clever.  You could write absolutely anything!  Their name, birthday, catch phrase ... anything at all, and again, this is one you could use all year round. 

Let's round all these little guys up ...

So here's our little mixed group of gifts.  Same concept on each, just with a different twist.  I'm sure you probably have a ton of other ideas to do with this as well.  I'm already thinking of some other cute gifts to give out using this same concept!  You can do this with anything!!  Have fun during the holiday season!

Crafter Level: Novice
 ~Jacqui











No comments:

Post a Comment