Sunday, December 2, 2012

Good Neighbor Gifts

"A good deed
will make a good neighbor."
~Bantu Proverb

In the midst of all the busy hustle and bustle of the holiday season it can sometimes be easy to overlook the ones closest to you.  This year I am bound and determined not to do that.
I really wanted to do something sweet and simple for my neighbors and thought that I could give something fun and a little different than what they normally may receive.  To include a personalized touch I thought I'd take the concept of a card and gift and put it together into one.

So these are my good neighbor gifts that I'm delivering to doorsteps this week.  Just a little something to let them know we are thinking of them and wishing them and their families a very happy holiday.

Let's dig in .... 

Supplies are easy and you may have them on hand already.  First I picked a gift that was fun and unique and that was a circle freshener.  I started thinking ... what could I do with this to also do the card elements???  Circle = snowman.  Genius.

  • Construction Paper
  • Scissors
  • Hole Punch - I use my star punch, it's my favorite
  • Small diameter glass to trace a circle, (or a circle cutter if you have one
  • Tape Runner/Glue Stick/Glue dots
First I needed to trace the circle for the head of my snowman.  I used this glass to get the shape and then simply cut out.

Now you just take the different colored construction paper and start cutting shapes.  First off - every snowman worth his weight in snow needs a top hat.  Next, a small oblong triangle for the nose.

For his eyes and buttons I cut out stars using black construction paper.  Quick and easy with these punches.

Now we need to put it all together.  I love my tape runner but you can of course use a glue stick or glue dots for everything.

Last step is assembly of all your snowman parts.  I stuck everything directly to the package to create the snowman shape.  Depending on the gift you choose to give your placement will vary.

And here you see the final product.  My snowman all dressed up and ready to give out.  I attached a fun ribbon at the top and plan on tying a bow big enough so that I can simply place on the front door of my neighbors.  On the back is a short note that says:

"Thank you for being such a sweet neighbor.
We wish you the best this season.
A small gift of a sweet scent for your car for your sweetness all year round."

I hope they find this to be a fun surprise and cannot wait to see what they have to say.

The holidays are a fun time of year to thank those in your life.  Make sure you don't forget the people around you.

~Jacqui

Crafter Level: Novice





No comments:

Post a Comment